Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Remake)

Hello everyone!

This week I will be talking about a new game I picked up recently for my Nintendo Switch! It is one that I hold close to my heart and fills me with nostalgia and excitement because I played the original so often when I was a kid.

Crash Bandicoot is a 3D platformer originally developed by Naughty Dog Studios, but the remake was developed by Vicarious Visions and produced by Activision. Vicarious Visions did such a great job remaking the original trilogy that I got goosebumps and memories of me playing the original! The funniest part, for me, was looking at the updated graphics and thinking it looked very similar to the original graphics but when I actually looked up the difference, it was night and day. I guess that the graphics back then were just very updated compared to other games and due to my previous knowledge, and seeing as I was only 6 it was not very much, it looked amazing, haha!


Image result for crash bandicoot original and remake

The controls are very simple. You have the ability to jump, which is mapped to the B button, the ability to spin, which is used to attack monsters and break crates to collect the wumpa fruits and is mapped to the Y button. Those are the only buttons besides moving around in three dimensions using the left thumbstick.

The gameplay, is a bit more difficult than I originally thought. Depth perception and jumping in the game is very difficult because of where the camera is and Crash's limited jumping length. At times it looks like you've jumped at the right time over a hole and then you will just fall into it, just an inch shy of making it to the other side. Also, there are certain levels that place the camera at a side angle so that moving forward would need a left or right input on the thumbstick. Due to the game being able to move in three dimensions, this makes these platforming levels more difficult because if you have to jump on a pillar with a smaller radius than where you originally were, you could fall off the sides due to jumping just an inch to right or left because you were originally running through the level too much towards one side. This issue is furthered by not being able to move Crash much during a jump. Even with all these smaller issues, the game is completely playable, it just takes a bit more time to get used to the controls, and being able to manage anger.

The levels are beautifully designed and stay faithful to the original within all three games (because in the remake, all three original games were remade.) The music is beautiful and is just as catchy as it was when I was a kid, and the updated cutscenes are thoughtfully redone. I love this game, and not just because of my nostalgia-heart, but because it is very, very fun! I just wish there was co-op option! Thank you for reading my blog this week!!

Comments

  1. Crash!!!! I was heavily debating on getting this game just because I played it on the Playstation growing up. Reading your post definitely brought that nostalgic feel to it and I can see myself just shouting at the tv as a little kid because of the difficult stages. The music is super catchy! I can't wait to see what video game you will be talking about next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh the nostalgia!! I used to play this game all the time when I was a kid and I can't believe its out on the nintendo switch! I'm definitely going to check this out; thanks for the detailed review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Final blog post for this semester!